I know, you see “chickpea” and immediately think HUMMUS! Well, this is NO savory “hummus” my friends. I would consider this spread more as a sweet, delicate dip. Have you ever had a delicate dip? Well, try out my chai roasted chickpea spread and you will totally get what I am talking about! Did I mention that this dip is low fat, low carb and sugar free?
The fun fact about chickpeas is that they are, basically, flavorless. They have to be roasted, tossed, blended or mashed into enough flavors to take on the essence of those flavors. Why not roast and blend those chickpeas into some sweet flavors huh? And obviously a bunch of amazing spices too, I mean hello, CHAI! In case you happen to be unfamiliar, chai is the ultimate spice blend that epitomizes both Fall and Winter, for me at least. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and clove! Using Swerve Sugar Substitute and Splenda brown sugar is how I get this recipe to be sugar free!
Roasting the chickpeas in a cinnamon sugar blend brings out an almost nutty flavor that really pairs well with the chai spices. The roasted chickpeas, along with some softened cream cheese, creates the creamy binder that makes this dip, a dip. The rest of the ingredients just help build that amazing sweet and spicy chai flavor!
Since this recipe can be used as both a spread and a dip, some ideas that would make amazing “scoops” include cinnamon sugar pita chips, apple slices, pears and even short bread cookies. Vessels used to carry the spreadable ability of this dish include English muffins, wheat toast, bagels and even cinnamon granola bars.
My chai roasted chickpea spread is healthy, unique and totally fit for the upcoming seasons! Spice up your life and give this dish a try to see just how sweet, healthy dips (or spreads!) can be!
P.S. My playlist song of choice for this recipe is Spice Up Your Life by The Spice Girls….yep, I just went there!
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet Almond Oil (For Roasting)
- 1 Tablespoon Swerve Sugar Substitute (For Roasting)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon (For Roasting)
- 1 19oz. Can Chickpeas, Rinsed, drained and dried
- 1 8oz. package Low Fat Cream Cheese, softened (Or full fat, your choice)*
- 1 Tablespoon Swerve Sugar Substitute
- 1 Tablespoon Splenda Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Allspice
- ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Clove
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet Almond Oil
- ½ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (low fat, full fat, your choice)**
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse, drain and dry the chickpeas from the can. Combine 1 Tablespoon Swerve and 1 teaspoon cinnamon for roasting. Coat chickpeas in 1 Tablespoon of the sweet almond oil (for roasting), then toss the chickpeas in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until just turning a light brown. Remove chickpeas and set aside to cool. In a food processor, combine the cooled, roasted chickpeas, softened cream cheese and ALL other ingredients. Puree until mostly smooth. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and serve as a dip or a spread!
- *Make sure to put the cream cheese on your counter to soften well before making this dish!
- **You can also use Vanilla Greek Yogurt, if you aren’t particularly watching your sugar intake!