There are certain things that you just can’t live without in a kitchen in order to really appreciate your time in there, and those tools vary for everyone. Some of these tools I would consider a necessity, some would be considered a luxury, and others are just plain fun. Here are some of my top tools, and not in any particular order:
1. Immersion Blender. I find that this makes blending my soups SO much easier than transferring the hot soup to a blender and then back to the pot.
2. Microplane Zester. This can be fancy or not fancy, as long as it gets the job done! Have you ever even zested? It only makes EVERYTHING taste BETTER!
3. Peeler. This makes peeling anything needing to be peeled so much easier! (Ummm hello butternut squash!)
4. Panini Press. I love making homemade Cubans, unique grilled cheeses, etc. A Panini press gets that amazing crunch on that bread that is so needed on sandwiches like this! Makes a mean quesadilla also.
5. Shaker. If you enjoy a good drink, a good shaker is a must! Plus it’s fun and cathartic!
6. A good Knife. You can’t really get anywhere in cooking without a reliable knife in the kitchen! I use mine for every meal.
7. Blender. I enjoy Vitamix, but as long as it works well any brand will do!
9. Mortar and Pestle. If you enjoy cooking with spices like I do, you will find that this is a fun way to create your own spice blends. Plus, it is super cool looking and will make your kitchen feel very zen!
10. Mandolin. I made it through many meals without one of these, but when I got one I find that I use it ALL the time. I love slicing potatoes on here for a quick even cut and baking them off for healthy chips. Also ratatouille doesn’t seem so intimidating with this! Same with a layered veggie lasagna!
11. Food Processor. Love it. Need it. Get it. I use it for everything! Especially yummy cauliflower “rice”.
12. Tupperware/Prep Bowls. I use my cute colored prep bowls for prepping foods ahead of time (veggies) and storing them in the fridge, they also look cute in the fridge to store leftovers in.
13. Crock-Pot. I use this for everything from pulled pork to Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Such a great tool for a busy, hardworking person. And a super lazy person, win win!
14. Grill Pan. This is a great way to get that grill flavor without going outside and going through the whole process of using your outdoor grill. Also, if you are like me with a husband who considers himself the “grill master”, instead of treading into his domain you can bring the grill in to yours.
16. Cute Apron. Obviously not a necessity, but still fun and helps to get you in the cooking mood. There are some really cute ones out there, like this sexy little number!
17. Nessie. This is ridiculous, but so cute. I do actually use it often haha.
18. Good Pots and Pans. I LOVE Trisha Yearwood’s Precious Metals collection. They are nonstick and beautiful. Nonstick is the most important part!
19. Meat Thermometer. Especially if you are new to cooking, this is a great gadget to have on hand. But I use it for every turkey, chicken or roast that I have in the oven to ensure I get that perfect temperature I am looking for.
20. Soda Stream. I drink a lot of flavored carbonated water, and this actually saves me money!
21. Coffee Pot. I used to have the fancy Keurig, and don’t get me wrong I loved it, but my husband and I drink WAY more coffee than just one cup, so I definitely prefer the large pot! Now, if I had my dream machine, it would be the Ninja Coffee Bar Brewer, it’s incredible, or so it looks on the ONE infomercial that actually captures my total attention, and then I suddenly realize my phone that was in the other room is suddenly in my hand dialing the number when I don’t remember ever getting up to go get it. Freaky.